The Trafficking Victim’s Protection Act of 2000 defines sex trafficking as the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for a commercial act that is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such an act has not attained 18 years of age.
5 facts about child sex trafficking:
- It happens through pimp controlled prostitution and stripping at clubs, residentals brothels, escort services, fake massage parlors and truck stops.
- The average age of entry into sex trafficking is 12-14 years old.
- Young children, teenagers, and adults are being raped up to 30 times a night for someone else’s profit.
- Doesn’t just happen overseas. Happens in the US. Happens in Asheville.
- North Carolina is ranked #8 for most reports of human trafficking; Asheville being one of the top trafficking cities.
When these victims are removed from their situation, they often have no place to go, no family to return to, and no support system to lean on. They need a family, like yours, to take them in and to help them walk the long, hard journey to healing.
All survivors have been traumatized in some way by the abuse. Some have intense behavorial difficulties, some have severe mental illness. Some have long lasting trust issues, some have suicidal thoughts. Survivors need personalized, individual attention and treatment to re-establish safety and hope for the future. We believe that the therapeutic foster care setting is the perfect place for a survivor of sex trafficking to be supported and loved while on their path to recovery.
They need a safe environment where they can learn, grow, and become the person God created them to be. You can play a part!
Do you have information about a potential trafficking situation? Call the National Human Trafficking Recourse Center (NHTRC) toll-free at 1-888-3737-888